How to write business letters (with examples and samples)
To correspond to customers or partners to have legal force, it is important to arrange correctly. In the article you will learn how to write a business letter to protect your interests. These skills are needed to all, especially freelancers.
The content of the article:
What is a business letter?
This written appeal to a potential or real business partner or official instances. Its goal is to encourage the addressee to action (purchase products, fulfill the conditions, give clarification, contact the new address, send documents).
The appearance of e-mail led to the fact that all business correspondence was divided into groups:
Must contain a number of mandatory details to be legally binding.
It is drawn up in office formats (Doc, DocX, RTF, PDF) and contains details. Attached in the form of attachments.
Direct handling in the form of an email.
It is important to know how to write business letters. From how much competently to arrange, the likelihood and speed of the address of the expected actions depends. The style and content of correspondence determine the success of cooperation with partners and official instances.
A business letter should not be confused with an informal correspondence between colleagues and partners. The difference between them lies in the positions of the parties:
- Business letter is an appeal on behalf of an organization or specialist. Style and form imply its further use in the status of the document. In disagreement or development of the partnership, it will confirm the information (the fact of circulation, date, conditions, etc.).
Informal conversations, even in electronic form, "do not choose a thing." Therefore, many experts recommend (and in some organizations managers directly require), it is mandatory to record all agreements achieved in the form of business correspondence, even if disagreements are not expected.
The form and style of business letters must encourage the destination "give the case": to study the information, transfer it further, adhere to the agreements.
Correspondence between "Maria Designer" and "Customer Lena" in the Messenger in the style of "OK, I do" - do not bind words to anything. E-mail: "TK received. The term of execution is December 14 inclusive. Artist - Designer Kosmakova Maria "- this is what you can refer! Trust in the business partner, the confidence of the second option will provide more likely to.
The ability to communicate, including in writing, is so important that now on the Internet there are special courses on this topic. For example, at the University Netology is taught negotiating, including the rules of business correspondence, communications on telephone, personal communication, emotion management and a lot. The course can be passed at the expense of the employer, which makes about 40% of students.
If you are working with foreign clients, you may be interested in a course on business correspondence in English. It is held at Skillbox University. It requires the level of knowledge of English not lower intermediate (B2).
Types of business letters
- Informational. Materials sent within the framework of cooperation (for example, the HR manager forwards the Customer with a summary of candidates or a specialist commercial department - a sample of the contract).
- Warranty. Confirms the obligations and contains a request to accelerate actions (for example, shipping the goods with post-payment).
- Commercial offer. Synthesis of advertising and proposals for cooperation.
- Notice. Warning to change circumstances (change of details, addresses, graphics, etc.).
- Offer. A document confirming readiness to cooperate on the basis of a number of essential conditions. It can be sent in the course of participation in the competition, prior coordination of the contract, selection of proposals.
- Demand. Request clarification, information, information. It is drawn up as a request ("Please explain ..., send ..., etc.).
- Advertisement (complaint). Contains an indication of violation of the terms of the contract (or agreements), unacceptable actions. For this form, references to the items of the contract or the offer, the specifics of the requirements and the description of the negative consequences in their non-fulfillment (penalties, fines, appeal to the court, the collaboration of cooperation, etc.).
- Transmittal letter. It can be both a formal confirmation (for example, an inventory inventory to confirm the receipt of documents) and explaining the reason for sending a document (for example, sending a summary, the applicant explains what the vacancy attracted him and why he considers himself a suitable candidate).
- Confirmation of the receipt of documents and letters. This is not only a "good tone" of business communication, but also a demonstration of obligations taken. Using confirmation, the specialist can reduce the number of "unnecessary" calls and appeals.
- Letter - feedback. In this case, the necessary element is an indication of an incoming document or question.
- Request. It is impossible to exclude cases of loss of documents, transfer of meetings, misunderstanding, the emergence of additional conditions. The letter of request allows you to solve any questions in a timely manner.
- Letter - fixation of important information. All oral and informal agreements make sense to fix in writing.
- Feedback. Such a document may contain positive or negative information about the experience of cooperation, the work of specific specialists, thanks, congratulations.
Invitation. Contains a description of the event and the conditions of participation.
How to write and make business letters?
General rules that need to follow:
- Brevity (minimum adjective, input words, reasoning).
- For each thought - a separate paragraph. For example, in the first - an indication of the broken point of the contract, in the second - the requirement in the third is a description of the consequences.
- A slightly "bureaucratic" tone from the "Third Party" is preferable: "Please consider ...", "Expert offers advice ...", etc. A greater degree of informality allows in commercial offers and invitations, as marketing tools are used in them. But options like "Hello, My name is Maria, and I ..." are considered a bad tone.
- Unambiguous interpretations: it is better to write not "during working hours", and "from 10 to 18 on weekdays."
- The mention of documents and agreements should be specified: Agreement No. 5 of 24.12.2000, a letter from 19.08.2021, an agreement at a meeting on September 19.
- Errors in spelling and punctuation cause damage to business image.
Emotional statements are unacceptable. Even a civil servant (obligated to respond to all letters, regardless of adequacy) allowed to ignore messages with insults.
Features of formal letters:
- Must contain the details of the organization. Usually, for this, the official form with the "cap" is being developed: the name, TIN, OGRN or OGRAP, address, details, possibly the logo or emblem.
- The addressee is indicated on the right above: the name of the organization and position (or at least the division). If possible, write a name. Requirements, requests, claims, offers addresses strictly .
- In an email (directly in the field of the messenger), a good tone of business communication is considered a personal greeting. Since formalized appeals ("Mr.", "Comrade") in Russia came out of use, the generally accepted greeting formula is considered to be: "Hello, Svyatoslav Fedorovich". The use of a name or name with patronymic depends on how the addressee signed his emails, as he himself seems or from official information about it on the company's website.
In the official correspondence, the title must match the type of letter: a claim, a requirement, warranty letter, invitation, etc. In some cases (information, request, confirmation) you can do without a header. In emails, the role of the header is played by the "Theme" field.
Structure of business letters: where to start and how to finish the message?
If you have the files attached to the letter, you must specify the documents in the text and list documents. In the official correspondence they are indicated as applications with numbers and names.
The official letter is signed to the right below the text of the content with the name of the organization and the post (or the "status", if services are offered on freelancing or in the format of self-employed - "expert", "specialist in ..."). Official letters of the organization or IP should contain a real signature or facsimile. Information can not be registered, the rest is necessary.
In e-business letters, it is better to subscribe not to the initials, but the full name (patronymic - at will).
The rules of business correspondence imply that under the signature, the sender indicates all its possible contacts - telephone, messenger, email address.
Examples of business letters
Imagine that you need to make a request for access to the office within the office. Below is the sample, how can you write a business letter in this case:
Director of LLC "Snab" Ivanov O.B.
In response to your letter from 01.03.2020, about limiting access to the building, we inform the following:
If necessary, ready to provide skip.
With respect, Levchuk A.P.
Individual entrepreneurvyukuk Anna [email protected]
An example of a business letter with a request to return funds paid by account. Please note how the message is completed - the details are specified to return the money.
In Accounting Owl "Vasco"
Accountant LLC "Dawn" August 01, 2020 was mistakenly paid for account No. 1234 of 20.08.2020. I ask you to return the cash in the amount of 3,737.00 rubles (three thousand seven hundred thirty seven rubles 00 kopecks)
At the expense of "Dawn" LLC. Required accounts: P / s: 4080xxxxxxxh chfilal "Point" PJSC Bank "Financial Corporation Opening" MoscowK / MF 3010xxxxxxxhhbick: 044xxxxxphphphri need ready to provide additional information.
Chief Accountant LLC "Dawn" ______________ Ivanova OB [email protected]
Where to learn to write letters?
If this skill is needed to you at a serious level, there are special courses. They are trained on business negotiations, including communications in writing. Below are examples of such programs.
Online course at University Netology. Tell how to negotiate from the moment of the first meeting before the conclusion of the contract. Including teach business correspondence skills. The course can be passed through the employer.
Business Correspondence in English
Course in Skillbox. You will learn about the features of communications with foreign customers. Learn to negotiate the meetings, describe projects and tasks, present the services and goods of the company, discuss financial issues and much more. To pass the course, you need to know the language at the level of Intermediate (B2) or higher.
Rules of business correspondence
With business letters in the organization and various instances can apply both an individual and employees of companies. The status of signatures is important: IP, freelancer, self-employed, citizens act from their own person.
Rules of business ethics require a response to letters no later than three working days . Commercial offers, invitations, notifications do not imply mandatory feedback. Public organizations may have other identified response time for incoming correspondence.
Requirements, claims, refusals and requests are apologized. Even if the company does not see the flaws behind itself - the preservation of the reputation and the chance of further cooperation requires this.
How to write e-business letters?
- Electronic correspondence between organizations is conducted from the corporate address of the company or employee. In a number of Russian companies, there are prohibitions for consideration of communications coming from "unofficial" addresses.
- Freelancer or self-employed is also worth a "business" email address.
- Send a letter with an empty field "Theme" - the deepest violation of business ethics.
- If the message is of official in nature, it is important to confirm the confirmation of its receipstation.
Forming an answer, it is useful to make sure that the history of correspondence is preserved in it. It is recommended to avoid automatic response reference in the subject (Re: ...). It is better to display the content (for example, "Reply to the deadlines for the execution of the office project"). The addressee can be hundreds of messages. Find the desired information among all "Re: ..." is difficult.
We told how to write business letters showed examples and samples of their design. Following these rules, you can make any business correspondence in accordance with the adopted standards.
Posted by Kadrof.ru. (Kadrofid: 79032) Added: 14.04.2021 at 19:45
You received an order, in time passed the project and received payment. It seems everything is fine. But no! It is important to set the client special questions that will help ...
When the client says he has no money, it does not always mean the lack of budget. Often there is money, but you refuse to be pretext ...
You should not consider an insignificant facepoint to appeal to the addressee. About who and how to contact the business correspondence, says Natalia Klishin.
Often, starting a letter from the appeal "Dear ...", I remember how one of the high managers in the preparation of letters to the president, the chairman of the government or the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences demanded the appeal "deeplywater ...". For some reason, this requirement caused us a lot of jokes. Remembered the "man of scattered" from the street of the pool Samuel Marshaka And his famous appeal "Deep-valued carved! Carrier carbonate! " We were interested in how deeply comrade respect.
And in vain giggled, by the way. The appeals starting with the words "deep-maintainable" and "durable" are used with the official appeal to particularly important person and officials occupying a high position. This is how it is accepted not only to the first persons of the state, members of the government and parliament, but also to famous figures of science, public figures. Turning to a letter to the accurate academician is simply "respected", you can no longer offend the addressee.
Not every day we write to the president or members of the government, but here letters with any complaint or a request for high bosses sometimes have to write. I do not know how deeply you respect your mayor or the governor, but if you have to write a letter with any request, I sincerely advise you to use the contact "deeplywater". The word that means "very respected" (the explanatory dictionary of Ozhegov) or "worthy of deep respect" (the modern explanatory dictionary of the Russian language Ephraim). I think any representative of the authorities will read such an appeal with pleasure. Just one word at the beginning of the letter, but sometimes it can outweigh the scales in your favor. As they say, the "gentle calf two dirt sucks."
Recently, at one of the forums, I encountered a question, what kind of punctuation sign after appeal at the beginning of the letter: Exclamation mark or comma. I put an exclamation mark on the habit - I was taught me, but I met and demanded a comma after addressing some bosses. Apparently those people who often conduct correspondence in English automatically transfer many rules of English grammar and on the correspondence in Russian. Sometimes it is misleading and business literature, in which such examples are given:
Dear gentlemen, we carefully considered your letter in which ....
Russian reference service on the portal Gramota.ru. Allows both options. At the same time, attention is drawn to the fact that after an exclamation mark, a sentence should be supplied from a capital letter, and after the comma.
The appeal in the Russian business letter is usually located in the center and separated from the main text in one space. The first sentence of the letter begins with paragraph. Well, how are you after the gap and even with paragraph begin to write an offer from the lower case letters? But in a personal letter, the text often start writing on the same line as the appeal. In this case, after contacting, you can also put a comma, and the text of the letter continue to write from the lowercase letters.
Why nevertheless an exclamation mark? I will give several answer options:
"Exclamation mark (!) - A sign of punctuation, which is raised at the end of the proposal to express amazement, call, strong feeling, excitement, and the like."
"The names of most signs of punctuation in Russian are the original Russians, and the term itself of punctuation signs to the verb to punct -" stop "," delay in motion. " If the writer puts an exclamation mark at the end of the proposal, it shows how much the content of his own statement is worried. "
To the question of the college secretary of Efim Fomich Perechadadin, the hero of the story of Chekhov "Exclamation mark (Svyatochnaya story)", "When an exclamation mark is put in the papers", his wife's wife, who often boasted the fact that "no wonder in the guesthouse seven years old and by heart The grammar knows, confidently answered: "This sign is set at appeals, exclamations and expressions of delight, indignation, joy, wrath and other feelings."
My answer is - putting an exclamation mark after handling, we strive to attract the attention of the addressee and call it not only to read the letter, but to fulfill our request, "reach", and sometimes "finish." Dear Ivan Ivanovich!
And what about the word "dear" and an exclamation mark? In business correspondence in Russian, it is customary to contact the addressee by the name-patronymic. As a last resort, you can contact the surname: "Dear Mr. Petrov!". In my opinion, the appeal by the surname is rather appropriate in the letter of claim than in the request. By name, the patronymic we usually address familiar, such an appeal causes the location of the destination, familiar is more difficult to refuse.
When contacting immediately to several recipients, they currently use the appeal "Dear Lord!", And when contacting the service notes within one organization, it is appropriate to use the appeal "Dear Colleagues!"
In diplomatic correspondence - own rules. It is customary to contact the title: "Dear Mr. Ambassador!", "Dear Mr. Minister" ", or" Your Excellency! ". But this is a separate topic.